Welcome to Ottawa’s most exciting Gymnastics School
Since 1972, Nepean-Corona has provided the Ottawa area with one of the finest gymnastics facility in the Canada and an exceptional coaching staff.
The Nepean Corona School of Gymnastics was founded in 1972, by Agnes Laing and Jeffrey Laing. The school operated out of numerous high school gymnasiums and spread out across the city of Ottawa before moving to its permanent 14,000 square foot location on Colonnade road in 1979. What began as a one coach club with forty female gymnasts has now grown to be one of Canada’s largest schools with close to 2000 athletes, men and women, and a staff of forty.
Over the years the club has hosted a wide range of competitive events,ranging from interclub recreational to provincial and elite level. The club has twice been involved in the hosting of the Canadian National Gymnastics Championships, here in Ottawa. Our club has produced many regional, provincial and national champions, in either the all-around or individual apparatus. Several Corona athletes have been offered full or partial athletic scholarships at the NCAA level.
Our successes however, are not limited to the competition floor. The values instilled in all our athletes, competitive and recreational alike, have led many former members to be leaders in our community. It is part of the club’s philosophy that expanding the mind as well as the body of children creates the basis for success, both in sport and in life.
The club has remained involved in the lives of our graduates and today we are proud supporters of the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Breast Cancer research and the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. The club is committed to remain a strong pillar in the Ottawa community and to uphold our club philosophy – The Pursuit of Excellence.
Early Years – 1972 through 1983
- gymnasts competing internationally
- 10 gymnasts in top 3 at Ontario Provincial Championships
- OFSA – 5 Champions
- Expanded to present facility on Colonnade Road. The first permanent training facility of its kind in eastern Ontario “1971”
- Hosted National Championships
- Expanded from 40 gymnasts in 1973 to 1000 by 1983
1983 – 1993
- Numerous international competitions attended: England; Venezuela; Israel; United States
- Athletes training in High Performance program
- Canadian National Champion on Vault and Floor
- Gymnasts qualified for many Ontario teams
- Major renovation of facility with the support of the city of Nepean in 1991
- First gymnast in City of Ottawa to receive a full NCAA gymnastic scholarship.
- Honored to have Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau children attend our program
- Host of Elite Ontario Championships
- Proud Sponsors of Children Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
- 20 years have passed and our graduating athletes are now accomplished physicians, lawyers, engineers, teachers, principals and healthy citizens
- Membership now grows to 1500
- Represented at National Championships
- Close to 20 Ontario Provincial Champions receiving Gold, Silver or Bronze
- 25 Anniversary Gala held in 1998
- Many of our Gymnasts from the first 10 years are married and are now bringing their children to experience the wonderful world of gymnastics as extended members of the Corona Family.
- Staff attends World Championships, International Congresses and European Championships to upgrade skills and share tips and techniques with others
- Proud sponsor of CHEO and Breast Cancer Research
- Hosts of the Catholic School Board Gymnastics Competition
- Members now exceeds over 2000 participants annually
2003 – Present
- Woman’s Competitive program fantastic results. More Provincial Champions and event medal winners. Eastern Canadian champion, team travels to Florida to compete coming back with Gold!
- Boys’ Competitive program expands. Recognized as having National level athletes.
- Corona continues to upgrade coach development attending US Coaching Congress in Philadelphia and US Olympic trials.
- New format for summer camp offering in addition to gymnastics; cheerleading, dance, martial arts, sport games and fantastic outings.
- 2008 expansion and renovation of gym
- New front entrance layout, new parent lounge with 7 large windows. Admin offices move upstairs, new colors, new fresh air exchange system. New pre-school area the Kiddie Park, 2000 sq ft. more gym space, new equipment. Great improvements and great feedback from members!
- Start of a new program GYM BABIES from 6m well received and still going strong!
- Start of the Dynamo/Spartan program exclusively for 5 and 6 year olds. New Incentive Plan developed for that age group focusing on physical preparation, excellent for gymnastics and fundamental for other sports.
- Keeping with the times… ‘Wi-Fi’ access for members
- Catered Birthday Parties!!